Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Playing Catch Up

Wow, It has been a long time since I have posted! This is mainly due to the fact that I have been super busy with potty training two kids, caring for many small children at my daycare, and a little splash of just plain laziness!

Rogan is doing great with his potty training, and I am certain that we will definitely be done before kindergarten ;) . He has shown a great capacity for being outside with out having an accident. In my previous experiences with potty training, being in the great outdoors is the downfall of most children. I don't know what it is, but playing outside causes more accidents than a hand dipped in warm water while sleeping ( I have never actually tried this prank, but I have been told that it works :) . We had an impromptu birthday party for him at Chick-Fil-A. He and Ameryn are having a double party in June, but we couldn't let his birthday go by without doing a little something! He loves the motorcycles and guitar that he got! His speech and vocabulary have improved dramatically. I guess being able to hear agrees with him!

Ameryn is doing so well in karate, and just got her blue belt! Her teacher says that if she continues to progress as she has been, she will be one of the youngest black belts that the school has graduated. She really loves the classes and her teachers, but we will see if she still wants to continue with it when her year is up (if our kids choose to join a class, they have to do it for at least one year before they are allowed to stop). She is becoming my little fashionista, always wanting to "have some style." this started with her wanting to roll her socks down, calling that a style. just recently she was looking in my closet and found my black flip flops that have some sparkly things along the straps. "oh, momma, these are so beautiful! But you know, You need to wear them with something colorful. You know, because you don't want to be all black or anything." It was so hard to keep from laughing! And not because it was unsound advice, it was quite true, but for the fact that this was coming from my four year old. A four year old who has never watched fashion T.V. , or even seen a fashion magazine! I don't believe that I had to have this conversation with her today:

AMERYN: "Momma, can I wear my shirt up like this so that it shows my tummy?"

ME: "No baby, we don't wear our shirts like that."

AMERYN: " But why Momma?"

ME: "Because Ameryn, we are ladies and ladies don't walk around with their stomachs showing."

AMERYN: (dejectedly) "I just wanted to show some style."

I explained to her that there are more ways to be stylish while still being modest like wearing bracelets or rings or something of that sort. As in this picture, where she has added a butterfly headband, necklace, and three bracelets that are not in the shot. She was still unimpressed. But when I mentioned that she could put some glitter in her hair all became right in her world again. I just hope that this is not indicative of what is to come as she gets older. I guess as long as she is easily deterred by some well placed glitter, everything will be fine!

1 comment:

Dana said...

Ameryn is too cute :) By the way, I told Ethan he could pick 3 friends to invite to his birthday party and Ameryn was one of his choices! I'll let you know more as I get the planning going but his birthday is July 1st. I don't know what day we'll have the party though. Are you guys around this summer??

By the way, family of the invitee are also invited. It will be a pool party at Eric's Dad's house which is why we limited the number of friends :)