Monday, May 11, 2009

Two Years Ago Today

May eleventh, 2007 was pretty much a normal day for our family. It was a Friday, so Chris went to work and I stayed at home watching Ameryn and the other daycare kids. I was nine months pregnant and hoping that our little boy would make a timely appearance (he was due by the Dr's. calculations on Mothers day, May 13th, by my calculations on the 12th.) and not wait around for five days past my due date like his sister did! My bags were packed. Ameryn was prepared to spend some time with her grandparents after he arrived. I was really hoping that I would recognize real labor and not go to the hospital just to be sent home by a false alarm. we went out that evening (I think that we were playing cards at my parents house, but I'm not sure) and got home around 9 p.m. I put Ameryn to bed at 9:30 and went to relax on the couch before hitting the hay myself. As I relaxed into the couch and turned on the TV I had that peculiar feeling. I knew it well from a night about three years before hand. As I rushed into the bathroom my suspicions were confirmed. My water had broken! So what did we do? I hopped into the shower. We figured that we had a few hours before anything major happened so we tried to relax. Right. We woke Ameryn up and asked if she would rather head to her Grandparents house or spend the night with us in the hospital. She wanted to stay with us so we called the doctor who told us to head on to the hospital. It had been a very stormy night and when we got to Baptist it seemed like every woman in the area had decided to give birth that night as well. "They" say that a storm front brings more babies than spicy food, and I guess that "they" were right on this occasion. After being checked to be sure that my water had in fact broken (I mean, really, can you mistake that?) We ended up in the waiting room for about thirty minutes for a room to be cleared for me. Once in the room I was hooked up to all of the monitors and given my IV (complete with pitocin because my water had broken and I had not started contracting yet) we were left alone so that we could get some sleep. Again, right. Chris and Ameryn slept on the fathers bed/couch while I waited for things to get moving. I don't understand how anyone could sleep with a baby coming, let alone with a needle stuck in there hand, and contractions that were getting progressively worse. That brings us up to about midnight, the rest of the tale continues tomorrow...

No comments: