Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I Ate A Leaf Once...

Ahh Ameryn, my sweet , wonderful, precocious daughter. She says some crazy things!Recently while we were talking I was reminded about a funny thing Amy told me that happened while Chris and I were in Barbados. Brent was asking her where her favorite place to eat was and she replied " McDonalds." " Ok, but if you could eat anything in the world, what would you eat?" Her response? "I ate a leaf once." I was laughing so hard when Amy told me this! I forgot to ask Ameryn about it until She and I were discussing why it is that some people like the way fish tastes and some people don't (this is mainly because she and her Daddy love seafood, but I cannot stand it). I was explaining that it was the same thing as her hating "long beans" (green beans) and me loving them, when she said "long beans just taste like grass, or maybe a leaf." In that moment the "I ate a leaf once" statement came back to me and I asked her to tell me the story of the time that she ate a leaf. "Well," she stated, " It was when David, Kaley, Rogan, Aubrey and I were playing hide and seek outside. None of the other babies were out there, it was just us. Well, I was hiding behind the spider tree"-"Wait, what is the spider tree?" I asked (not only out of curiosity, but so that I can avoid it in the future). " It is the one with all of the baby rocks around it and it has a hip like this" she says as she puts her hand on one hip and juts it out to one side. "Oh, OK" I said even though I still was not quite sure of the one the was describing. "Well I was behind it and there was a stick with six leafis on it. I picked it up and took one off so then there were five leafis on it (the equation is apparently essential to the story). And then I ate one...all of it." She said matter-of-factly. I was trying so hard not to laugh because she was so nonchalant about eating leaves, or leafis, whichever the case may be. "Did you like it?" I asked her. " It tasted kind of like lettuce" She replied. Chris gave her the talk about why we don't eat wild plants, and I don't think that she will be experimenting with exotic tastes anytime soon, but I expected this more from Rogan and not the my little girly girl! :)

1 comment:

Michael and Traci said...

I LOVE IT!! I get stories like this all the time with my Kindergardeners - favorite one today...."Mrs. Jenkins, I got the
H1N1 up my nose" (aka - he got the spray vaccine) Makes me laugh....I can't believe you were at school several weeks ago for Ameryn to be tested and I MISSED YOU!!!I always forget you and Laura know each other :) Love your blog :)